Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Comfort Food

'
I turn to comfort food when I'm feeling down (or happy, or excited, or board), and I really needed some comforting yesterday... so I had a Healthy Choice Salisbury Steak frozen dinner. I discovered that if you eat 2 or 3 of them, with lots of butter and salt, that they are quite tasty BUT - I was still down...and still hungry!




So I made myself a salad.
First I chopped an apple.

Then added some diced carrot.

And a handful of Craisins - I love Craisins!

Put in some diced celery.

And some chopped pecans.
I say pahcaaaans - not peecans!

And finished the salad off, by adding some 2% cheddar/swiss cheese cubes.

Still feeling down, I found some of these left over from Chirstmas.

I ate 3 Pecan Pie Squares - the peppermint and eggnog flavors weren't calling to me.

Later I had some egg salad on gooey white bread...

...with some Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips.



What I really wanted was a hot fudge sundae...so hubby brought home a half gallon of vanilla ice cream, a jar of hot fudge topping, and a can of whipped cream. I was too depressed to put it all together, so I didn't bother.

Life is better today. So, I had the hot fudge sundae for breakfast:-)

PS - I've heard that there are some people who don't eat when they are sad, or excited, or happy (or even hungry)...I think that they aren't really people, but actually aliens in disguise!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! I must be an alien then! hello, earthly being! I too not eat when I get really upset or stressed or depressed. it's masochistic in a way, I just want to make myself even more miserable.
I was LOL-ing about how you had to eat 2-3 of that healthy choice TV dinners with lots more butter! I'm always shocked at the miserable quantity in those microwaveable meals, too. NOBODY can be full from just one of that!
and ooh lala dessert!

CindyDianne said...

I had gastric bypass surgery and those meals are perfect for me, size wise. This is commentary on the smallness. I don't think they are reduced calorie, just reduced size!

I am an eater too.

I'd like to be an alien!

Fruitcake Sandy said...

Oh Ms. Libby ... I crawl into the refrigerator when I'm sad or down. I jump into the cupboards when I'm anxious or unsettled. I leap into the refrigerator (and freezer) when I'm happy. So you see, between the crawling, jumping and leaping ... I manage to get quite a bit of exercise while I'm stuffing my face.

Seriously, though, I'm sorry that you are having the 'blahs' or whatever it is ... hope that you are feeling better very soon.

nfmgirl said...

I eat when I'm happy and content. If I'm stressed or depressed, my stomach is usually in knots and I don't want anything. I can lose five pounds in a few days after a break-up!

Just for the record:

I say "pee-cahns". Or is it "pee-cons"? Spelling phonetically is h-a-r-d.

Treehouse Chef said...

That was hilarious! I have always wondered what other people eat when they are seeking comfort food. I have done that so many times! The photos were making me hungry!!!!!

Tatersmama said...

We need to talk to someone. I think you're my long-lost twin sister, because we're soooo alike when it comes to comfort foods!

But a sundae for breakfast? That's it... we ARE twins!

snbjork said...

Ha ha! Knowing you, you probably didn't even eat breakfast until 11:00 or 12:00 (you naughty gal)!

I'm glad to know you're feeling more relieved today. I don't know how many prayers were uttered for you and the family in our home yesterday (many of them silent).

How did I miss out on the Ghirardelli Pecan Pie flavored squares?? Those sound so delicious! I love the peppermint kind. Yum, yum!

Love you, Mom!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Me? Eat when I'm stressed? Now can't you tell by looking at me that I have disciplined myself to only eat to live? And then, I never enjoy it. That's carnal and sinful. As is lying. I might be in trouble. The end.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry you are feeling down, Libby! I'm a stress/unhappy/depressed/happy/any-mood-actually eater....so I hear ya, sista! :) Egg salad on fresh white bread is the best! :)

Anonymous said...

Libby, I agree, eatting just makes us feel oh so much better!

Bz said...

OMGaaawwsh .. that egg salad sandwich looks SO good right now! And so does ALL the other stuff ...and I'm not pregnant. I so hope the impetuous, for how you feel, turns around and gets back in order so you can feel chipper again.
Am thinking of you.
*
p.s. You're absolutely right it's Pa-cawns ...no peein' in a can if your Southern.

Homestay Mama said...

Libby, You're just pulling our leg--you didn't really eat all of that! Did you? LOL!

Seriously, I am sorry you're feeling down. Wish I could just pop on over to comfort you and cheer you up!

Hugs and Prayers, dear friend!

A Lady's Life said...

mmm delicious all.
You gotta live sometime.
:)