
IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck
(written after she found out she was dying from cancer).
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage. I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
hile watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime. Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle. When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's' More 'I'm sorry's.'
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute.look at it and really see it . live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!
Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.
(written after she found out she was dying from cancer).
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage. I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
hile watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime. Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle. When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's' More 'I'm sorry's.'
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute.look at it and really see it . live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!
Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.







































13 comments:
That sounds like a book that I need to read. Life gets so hectic that we forget to actually live our lives.
Libby, Erma influenced my own writing and was a heroine to me. She had an unbelievable work ethic. I have always loved this piece and I'm happy to see you run it. Wasn't she the best? She was always real and let us see life as it was. She was a pioneer. They'll never be another one to match her.
She was amazing and an inspiration to many people. We lost an amazing woman the day she went home to the Lord.
One of a kind definitely!
Libby, I really NEEDED this today.
The timing was perfect... so Bless you, my dear friend!
I've always loved Erma, and grew up with reading her funny little "words of wisdom" every chance I got.
She was definitely one of a kind - and the best kind, at that!
xoxox
What a great reminder! Thank you!
I've been trying to put something into words along the same lines, but I cant quite get what I want to say.
I was introduced to this poem in 8th grade and have come back to it many, many times. One of my favourites!
Words to live by
One of my favorite ladies and a very dear one. She was always so wise and witty. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for sharing this with us. She was quite a gal. One of my favorite of her pieces was "Everyone Elses Mother." She had the ability to see the humor and the grace in very ordinary occurrences.
"Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us."
I love her words of wisdom.
I love her writings.
Wonderful. Will print this out and read it often. thanks for that!
I always did like Erma Bombeck. What a great lady she was!
Post a Comment